Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mt. Kenya Adventure

View on descent from summit
A view of our "destination" - the summit
Sunrise from the summit
Sunrise from the summit
Where we went!
Camp Moses - first night on the mountain
First of 4 nights on the mountain  w/friend Allen
First day's hike - uphill all the way






the PCVs + guides + porters + cook = successful journey!

August has been an incredibly busy month in Kenya – and a lot of fun!  Hopefully I will be able to update you on the most difficult adventure I have ever had – EVER!  The week of August 15, 8 PC volunteers climbed Mt. Kenya – a height of 4,985 M or 16,355 feet.  I thought I was in good shape, but the high altitude kicked me hard.  But we all made it to the top to see the sunrise, even if it meant leaving camp at 2:30 in the morning!  We were on the mountain 6 days, sleeping in tents and being well taken care of by our porters and guides.  I was the only one to hire a personal porter – how the others toted their 30-40 pound packs is beyond me.  I am grateful to have had Robert carry mine for me!  I am just going to include pictures to give you a taste of the adventure.  Even the photos do not do the scenery justice, nor do they show the difficulty of the “hike”.  I am so grateful to have done this adventure.  Once more, you can see I have not figured out the photo situation in the blog, but you can get the idea of where we were!

 

 

2 comments:

Never Settled said...

You are such an inspiration! Congrats on Mt Kenya and on all you've accomplished so far. I can't wait to see what else you do...:)

kenya adventures said...

Kenya it has wonderful forests, mountains lakes and beaches is one of the most popular adventure holiday destinations of the world..
Masai mara safari

My Great Family

My Great Family
Katie, Shannon, Lucy, Pat, Russ, Betsy

Contact Information

My email address is:    p_novak@hotmail.com

My snail mail address will be:
Pat Novak, PCV
        PO Box 539
        Tala   90131
  Kenya